Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jerks

It's the middle of June. A 200 pound woman in slightly too tight men's basketball shorts and a very, very sweaty tank top is running at what could almost be called speed, down what is definitely a very steep hill. There is only one source of a breeze for miles around and that is the air that is laboriously being shot from her lungs as she huffs and puffs like a big, fat wolf down the hill.

You and your teenage friends come roaring around a hill in an SUV and see the sight of this whale on legs and begin to laugh. One of you yells something obscene out the window. The group laughs its collective self silly for just a moment and then moves on to the topic of Jenny Sonnenfeld's out of season purse or Steve Morris's college age girlfriend.

The woman on the other hand stops running. Turns around. Goes home to her boring treadmill. Does not dig out her outdoor running shoes again for nearly a year.

Yes, the 200 pound woman is me, and yes, the kids in the SUV really did yell something obscene out the window at me. I like to think that in the years past, each of them has gone on to at the very least gain that infamous freshman 15. Hopefully one or two of them is really, really fat.

During the time it takes to do any diet/ exercise plan, it is absolutely inevitable that you yourself will encounter what I, at 200 pounds, huffing and puffing down Corkscrew Hill learned to call by a specific scientific term: Jerks. The husband (who is otherwise no doubt a prince of a fellow) who "encourages" you by pointing out what and how much you are eating. The neighbor who talks to you as if you had no idea that all you had to do all along was eat less and exercise more. The stupid kids hanging around the park like mold on cheap cheddar.

The solution to the problem of jerks is complicated. You can't make jerks go away. Even your prince of a husband sometimes acts like one. You can't hide from them. Eventually you are going to commit to some dang fool thing like running a marathon and you will have to get out and road run no matter how good you are doing on the tread mill. You can't reason with jerks because most of the time they are long gone by the time you have a chance to confront them (people are so much braver whizzing by in SUV's or approaching you at the neighborhood bar-b-cue than in places where you could actually turn around and tell them what jerks they are).

So here my recipe for dealing with Jerks:

1) accept that they are jerks. Either just right now (who knows if my SUV kids were just experiencing a lapse in judgement. Perhaps they're all church-going saints who volunteer to groom old people's poodles on weekends - to say the least of your otherwise princely husband) or always. It's not you. Sometimes people just act like jerks.

2) Remember that for every one (1) jerk there are a dozen (12) people who don't even notice you (after all 2/3 of the population is overweight or obese. You'd think we'd be used to seeing a few persons of larger persuasions around) and a lot of people are really rooting you on. Your friends and family, certainly, but a lot of strangers, too. Like me. And the nice people in the VW New Beatle who drove by every night as I ran down Corkscrew Hill and gave me a thumbs up. When it comes to losing weight, actually even the Jerks would like to see you succeed, even if their being jerks can be discouraging.

3) Confront them when you can. Accept it when you can't. Husbands, fathers, kids, friends who act like jerks don't mean to. They love you and are committed to you. Jerks or no they are rooting you on. And it's good practice to show people who treat you with disrespect that now that you are regrowing your self esteem they won't be allowed to treat you that way any more. It's called drawing reasonable boundaries. Making sure those around you don't cross the line into being disrespectful is a way for you to protect yourself. Otherwise your body will help you out by doing it for you - putting realy, tangible space between you and the jerks.
If you can't confront them, just accept that they are jerks. I like to think they are probably just momentary jerks who thoughtlessly lose their heads and don't realize the impact they're having. Like the SUV kids.

And when all else fails, picture them years from now, after a few years' neglect, too many college beer parties, no more varsity sports teams or cheer squads, running at 200 pounds down Corkscrew Hill. As you pass them at mile 24 running up it.

Maybe you'll be a professional trainer then too. And you can give them your card.

3 comments:

  1. I've been termed obese by doctors and insurance companies for the past 15 years or so and have dealt with jerks during that time that are mostly friends and family.

    I exercise more than most of my peers and am super active. I've ridden a charity bicycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles four times in the last 6 years as well as running the Bay to Breakers this last year and am training for my first marathon.

    During the course of all this, my friends continue to "joke" about my weight and size, my father (who taught me most of my vanity and body-shame) continues to comment on my weight as if I'm not aware of it and my physician still tells me I'm obese without taking into account any body mass that might just be muscle.

    I will say that I'm lucky to have a partner who continues to encourage and note on my positive work and that helps a lot, but those jerks in the world can get you down if you let them!

    I just keep going trying to keep my outlook positive and hope to meet-up with those SUV driving boys on the race course sometime so I can stomp their egos into the dirt! ;)

    Thanks for the thoughts Alyshia (and the dance).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article. It is so important to remember that we all have to start somewhere and that we should celebrate and encourage each other. The hardest thing about running is putting on your shoes and heading out the door. Some days I don't even worry about how far I've gone, I'm just proud of myself for getting off the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in SF for a few days, I read a bit about you in the marathon write-up in the on-line Chronicle last night! You go, girl! You are amazing! And you're from Sutter Creek, too! I grew up in Amador county.

    Running a marathon would be wonderful! So far, I'm feeling good to get outside most mornings and "run" (feels like running, but fast-walkers can pass me by!!) 5 miles.

    How do you manage to run 26 miles EVERY Wednesday?

    Keep up the good work and the blogging!

    ReplyDelete